In Scrap Mechanic, building is key. You can build the chassis (frame) of a vehicle, or a transforming house, or even a robot... The sky is the limit, especially when creating a flying machine!
If you are wondering what to build, take a look at the guides page for inspiration.
How To Build[edit | edit source]
Building a block is simple. Select the item you would like to place then press left click. Dragging left click will allow you to place a machine part off-center (Arrows will appear for help), and if you are holding a block you can drag to create a large square, the orientation of the direction of the square will change by pressing Q. Dragging a block over multiple Pistons or Bearings will make the dragged blocks connect to all of them (this is to make it easy by not having to use the Weld Tool)
Destroying[edit | edit source]
Holding down Right Click on any part will destroy it after a short amount of time (a timed circle will appear around the cursor). Pressing right click on a block will destroy it after you let go. Dragging right click will allow the player to remove a square of blocks the orientation of which depends on the side of the block you press it on.
Lift[edit | edit source]
Putting an item on a Lift will allow you to reach the bottom of a machine you are building (objects attached to the ground can't be put on the lift) . You can move the lift up or down with Up Arrow and Down Arrow. When pressing E on the lift while an item is on it will let you save the creation. If nothing is on the lift you can spawn in creations.
Welding[edit | edit source]
The player can weld parts together by left clicking an object while holding the Weld Tool and then left clicking another object they want to weld it to (Change the orientation of the part with Q). You can weld together parts in the same machine by putting the machine on the Lift then dragging one part of the machine to the other.
Painting[edit | edit source]
Connecting[edit | edit source]
Parts that send a signal such as Buttons, Switches, Logic Gates, Timers, and Sensors, Can be connected to parts that can be activated and deactivated such as Controllers, Pistons, Logic Gates, Timers, Engines, Thrusters, and other parts. Connect them by dragging from the part that sends a signal to a part that receives a signal while holding the Connect Tool.
Exceptions[edit | edit source]
- Seats can connect to Switches and Buttons
- Driver's Seats can be connected to items Seats can connect to, and Engines, Thrusters, and Bearings.
- Controllers can be connected to Bearings and Pistons.
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
- Placing a pole on your creation off centers where the Lift is so you can place under where the Lift would normally be.
- If your machine is in an awkward position you can whack it with a Sledgehammer.
- Signal parts can connect to Pistons so you don't need to place a Controller.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Default control that may be different depending on what you change in the settings.
- Only goes to 16 by 16 blocks in each direction.
- Only on parts that take up more than one block.
- Drag removal will not allow you to destroy to parts that are not connected (including bearing and piston connections). If you accidentally right click you can look at the sky or the ground then let go to cancel the destroying.
History[edit | edit source]
Devblog[edit | edit source]
- Devblog 6
- Showcased Paint Tool
- Devblog 8
- Showcased saving to Lift
- Devblog 11
- Showed scale able Wedges.
Beta[edit | edit source]
- Added Paint Tool
- Multiplayer optimization on building and updating shapes.
- Better collision detection for the Lift placement.
- Added Weld Tool
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the object picked up by Weld Tool was modified by another player.
- Fixed a bug with the Weld Tool that made it possible to weld rotated objects into each other.
- 0.2.0 Hotfix 1
- Connect Tool numbers fixed.
- Weld Tool collision check fix.
- Fixed bug that didn’t let the player weld when it should be possible to weld.
- Remade the welding particles and added bounce to the welding particle.
- Fixed bug where welding particles didn’t spawn.
- The delay when pointing on larger creations with a weld tool or a Lift is now optimized.
- Fixed so Bearings on a creation are still stable after getting welded.
- Bearings that touch an object will now stick to that object when building. This makes it easier to build awesome fork suspension that have two Bearings attached to each side of the Wheel.
- Fixed a common crash in the blueprint import and export GUIS.
- Added arrows when placing a part and adjusting its position on a surface. This is to make it easier to understand how the object can be dragged within the placement spot.
- Fixed a bug that prevented new blueprints from being built.
- Added mountable Spud gun with recoil.
- Added new cardboard block.
- Added spud gun destruction to cardboard and glass blocks.
- Added moddable scripting for interactive parts.
- Modders can now make their own spud guns and thrusters for example.
- Sensors are triggered by potatoes.